pm usp scholarship 2024 : One of the major objectives of the Government is to ensure that no student is denied the opportunity to pursue higher education because she or he is poor. To achieve this objective, Department of Higher Education (DHE) launched schemes to provide financial assistance to students who are economically weak to pursue their higher education, in the form of scholarships, interest subsidy on education loan and credit guarantees for education loan. All categories of students in the country (i.e., General, SC, ST, OBC and PwD) are eligible to get financial assistance as per the schematic norms. The National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 also envisages improvement of Gross Enrolment Ratio in higher education from about 27% in 2019-20 to 50% by the year 2035. Therefore, encouraging the students to continue education, particularly the students from Economically Weaker Sections of the Society need sustained policy initiative.
To provide financial assistance to meritorious students from poor families to meet a part of their day-to-day expenses while pursuing higher studies.
The scholarships are awarded by Ministry of Education, Government of India on the basis of results of Higher Secondary / Class XII Board Examination.A maximum of 82,000 fresh scholarships per annum are provided for pursuing graduate /postgraduate degree in colleges and universities and for professional courses, such as Medical, Engineering etc.
Allocation of Scholarship
The total number of scholarships are divided amongst the State Education Boards based on the State’s population in the age group of 18-25 years, after segregatingshare of CBSE and ICSE on the basis of number of students passing out from various Boards in the country.50% of the scholarships are earmarked for girls.Out of the total scholarship slots earmarked for UTs of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh, 3% slots shall be earmarked for the students from the UT of Ladakh. The number of scholarships allotted to a State Education Board is distributed amongst pass outs ofthe Humanities, Science and Commerce streams in the ratio of 3:3:1. In case of shortfall in the number of applications, the scholarship slots shall be interoperable among categories (Gen, OBC, SC & ST), gender (Female, Male) and State Quota to maximize use of slots for fresh scholarships with effect from academic year 2022-23, subject to the condition that guidelines of Ministry of Finance and NITI Aayog regarding SC/ST fund allocation of the schemes are adhered to.
Eligibility for Scholarship
- Students who are above 80thpercentile of successful candidates in the relevant stream from the respective Board of Examination in Class XII of 10+2 pattern or equivalent;
- Pursuing regular degree courses and not correspondence or distance mode or pursuing Diploma courses;
- Pursuing courses at colleges/institutions recognized by All India Council for Technical Education and respective Regulatory Bodies concerned;Not availing benefit of any other scholarship schemes including State run scholarship schemes/ fee waiver & reimbursement scheme;Students with gross parental/family income upto Rs. 4.5 lakh per annum are eligible for scholarship under the scheme. Income certificate will be required only for the fresh applicants;Student changing his/ her college/institute of study will be allowed to continue/renew the scholarship provided the course of study and the institution is having valid AISHE Code; The AISHE code can be checked in the portal https://aishe.gov.in/aishe/aisheCodeStudents who missed to apply for renewal of application online on NSP will be allowed to apply for renewal of scholarship for subsequent year on NSP, if he/she fulfils eligibility condition for renewal;For renewal of scholarship in each year of study, besides getting at least 50% marks in the Annual Examination, maintenance of adequate attendance of at least 75%, will also be the criteria. Complaints against the student regarding any in disciplined or criminal behaviour including any complaints of having indulged in ragging, will lead to forfeiture of scholarship;
- Beneficiaries/ Applicants under the scheme must apply online in the National ScholarshipsPortal(www.scholarships.gov.in)forthefresh/renewalscholarships. Fresh/Renewal applications sent directly to the Ministry of Education shall not be accepted.
Students belonging to reserved categories/weaker sections /minorities etc. are eligible to get benefit of reservation on the basis of merit, subject to Central Reservation Policy [i.e. 15% seats are earmarked for SCs, 7.5% for STs and 27 % for OBCs and 5%horizontal reservation for Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) in all the categories]. The Central Reservation Policy will be applicable in filling the slots against each year’s target. If slots under a specific group is not filled after considering all the States/UTs, the vacant slots will be allocated to other categories so that maximum number of eligible students can get the benefit, subject to overall ceiling of slots.
Procedure for Application
- The applications are received online only. Verification of credentials of the students like caste, educational qualifications etc. are done throughDIGILOCKER facility of the MeITY, Govt. of India.
- NationalScholarshipsPortal(NSP)(www.scholarships.gov.in)willprovidethe timelines for opening & closing of the portal.
- TheGuidelinesforapplication,verification,selectionanddisbursementof scholarship will be as per the NSP.
- Online applications will be verified at two levels i.e by the Institute, where the student is studying and thereafter by the concerned State Higher Education Department or any other Agency/ Official nominated by the State as State Nodal Agency (both for fresh and renewal applicants).
- Latest guidelineonTimelineswillbemade availableonNSP.
- Students will not be permanently debarred for scholarships due to delay to renew or verification. However, students will have to submit renewal applications within acut-offdate.Renewalforthat yearwillnotbe allowedifanapplicantmissesthis deadline.
Rate and Duration of Scholarship
The rate of scholarship is Rs.12,000/-per annum at Graduation level for first three years of College and University courses and Rs.20,000/-per annum at Post- Graduation level. Students pursuing professional courses, in case, where the duration of course is five(5)years/IntegratedcoursewillgetRs.20,000/-per annum in the 4thand 5th year. However, students pursuing technical courses such as B.Tech, B.Engg.will get scholarship up to graduation level only i.e. Rs.12,000 p.a. for 1st,2nd and 3rd year and Rs. 20,000 in the 4th year.
Note: The rate of scholarship is Rs.10,000/-per annum for first three years of fresh/ renewalscholarshipswithrespecttoacademic year2021-22, even if the actualrelease happens in FY 2022-23.
Payment of Scholarship
Students are required to have the bank accounts opened, especially, in their name for availingthe benefits under the scheme. The scholarship will be disbursed directlyinto thesavingsbankaccountsofthebeneficiariesthroughDirectBenefitTransfer(DBT)
mode.The student can track their payment status from the template “Know Your Payment”inthePublicFinancialManagementSystem(PFMS)portal [https://pfms.nic.in/Users/LoginDetails/Login.aspx] either by indicating Aadhaar number or bankaccount number or NSP Application ID.
College and Universities will apprisethe students about the “PM-USP CSSS” during admission.Aadhaar based authentication of Institute Nodal Officer (INO)/ StateNodal Officer (SNO) is mandatory for every Institution/State before verification ofthe applications. INO/SNO should be a regular employee.
For State Government/State Boards
Adequate publicity of the scheme may be initiated through the Schools/ Colleges/ Institutions to create awareness and to facilitate/ assist the applicants in rural area to apply for scholarship online on NSP.